Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mock Angel Food Cake

There is a baker in town who I've used for many occasions, graduation, wedding, first child's baptism, etc. She makes the BEST Mock Angel Food cake. I love it, but of course only get it for special occasions. I have been on the hunt for my own version, and finally found it!


Mock Angel Food Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
dash of salt
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp almond flavoring
6 egg whites, room temperature
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp baking powder

Directions:
Mix together with a wire whisk sifted flour, sugar, and salt. Add boiling water, let cool (this may take several hours). Add almond.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and baking powder. Beat until stiff.
Gently fold into other ingredients, stir until just mixed.

Bake in ungreased 9x13 pan for 30 min.

Tastes best topped with Vanilla Buttercream frosting.

Serves: 20-24

Freezer: Honestly, it tasted even better after being in the freezer!

Nutrition: 107 calories per piece, unfrosted.

1 comment:

  1. I want to make a half sheet cake. Do I double or triple this recipe to fit the pan.

    ReplyDelete