Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thick Cut Out Sugar Cookies

These are fabulous, but beware...dough gets thick and it blew the motor in my inexpensive stand mixer! Oh, Well, Merry Christmas to me as I got a new KitchenAid Mixer out of the deal!!

** I am not a professional decorator :)  My kids LOVE to help!
Thick Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Source: The Peppermint Plum

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
5 1/2 cups flour
Directions:
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. After mixed add sour cream. Mix together salt, baking soda, and flour. Slowly add to Mixture.

On a floured surface roll out cookies to 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick. I had a hard time letting myself roll them thick, so most were right at 1/4 inch! 

Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes. If they start to brown on the edge, they were baked TOO LONG. Let them sit on the tray a few minutes before carefully transferring them to a baking rack to finish cooling.

Frost with Vanilla Buttercream
2 cups butter, softened
1 bag powdered sugar (approximately 8 cups or 2 pounds)
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

Mix well, color if desired, frost cookies.

Serves: 7 dozen cookies (3.5" size cutters)

Calories: 75 calories (without frosting)
If you were to use all of the frosting on the cookies, it would add 64 calories each, I only used about half (I frost lightly), so that makes my frosted cookies: 107 calories



A few of my "designs" this year

No comments:

Post a Comment